Monday, September 26, 2011

[MW:12540] REF- AWS D1.1 - Two process in one test coupon

Good Day to Experts,
 
With reference to attached prequalified complete joint penetration , I used this configuration to qualify SMAW & SAW process, Ist welded by SMAW one side completely then backgouged 2 nd side welded with SAW . ( Weld metal SMAW app 30 mm thk + SAW 25 mm Thk),I comply with AWS D1.1, Base metal Thickness 55.0 mm
 
Accoring to D1.1 PQR qualified weld metal thickness is greater than 25 mm is qualified to weld unlimited thickness in production weld, My Questions
 
1) May I use only one process to complte the production weld ie I wish to use SMAW/ SAW  only to weld unlimited thickness ( ASME Sec IX permits only one process / combination of process), But AWS D1.1 I can't find such information, Any one can explain / indicates the information avilable in AWS code.
 
2) Can I use this one PQR to Prepare 2 WPS , For Example
     SMAW -Root + Filling + Capping
     SMAW root + SAW Filling & capping
    
Thanks
Regards
E.Jegan
 
 

No comments:

Re: [MW:34832] Inquiry about Single Bevel with Back Grinding

Dear Uday, As per your question that one is called with backing only,Simple both side you are welding it is backing with strip or without st...